Second Generation

The History of Star Headlight & Lantern Company

Generation 2 (1897-1946)

 

Albert W. Jacobs

Albert W. Jacobs
Second President / Treasurer

1897: Albert W. Jacobs becomes the second President of Star. 
1903: On Thursday morning, June 11, 1903, a $250,000 fire destroyed the Brick Presbyterian Church and the Pancost Building housing the STAR HEADLIGHT COMPANY. The building, located, on the corner of Allen and Fitzhugh Streets had seven occupants. The first floor was used by the Baxendale Machine Company and the Rochester Wringer Company. The entire second floor was occupied by the Star Headlight Company. The Pullman Sash Balance Company and the Newcomb Shoe Company utilized the third floor, while the Reed Chemical Company and the Miller Last Company shared the fourth floor. An insurance policy of $22,000 was carried on the machinery and stock of the Star Headlight Company. Half was carried with G.W. Steitz & Son and the balance with the Milton Clark Company. 
1904-06: Star Head Light Company moves to 65 Atlantic Avenue, Rochester, New York. Frank B. Jacobs is a pattern maker at the company. 
1908: Star Head Light Company moves to 214 Commercial St., Rochester, New York. 
1914: Name of company changes to "Star Head Light & Lantern Company." 
1915: Star Head Light & Lantern Company catalog now lists more than 100 versions lamps and lanterns. 

 

Products taken from the 1915 catalog

Model 39 Railraod Lantern Model 60 Engine Lamp
Model 39 Railroad Lantern Model 60 Engine Lamp Model 182 Engine Lamp

 

1928: Star Head Light & Lantern Company moves to Prospect Street (447 West Main St. to 242 Adams St.). 
1931-32: Vincent Brothers Cigars and Upton Baking Powder Company share the Prospect Street building with Star. 
1937: Star Head Light & Lantern Company moves to 89 Allen St., Rochester, New York. Star Products Company makes paper fasteners. Artcraft Optical Company also shares the manufacturing building. 
1940: Berwin W. Jacobs (to become the 3rd President of Star and son of Albert) works as a signal engineer. Robert W. Jacobs, Albert's other son, works as a tool and die maker for Star. The Loco Light Company, another lamp manufacturer, shares the building with Star.
1941: Star changes the focus of its product line from kerosene lamps and lantern to electric lamps and lanterns.
1942: A wartime United States government makes the production of Star Head Light's railroad lanterns and lights an AA-1 priority.